Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday Smatterings

As a writer not yet published, one of the things I always ponder is what genre shall I write in? I don't mean contemporary or historical, I mean what line am I targeting? What is my audience? I read something yesterday that made me think. The author said to stick with your targeted publisher and write well. I think that is a handy bit of good advice. It is one thing to say I write contemporaries, but it's another to explain what it is I write. I love the Blaze line and right now that is my target. Smart city girls who know what they want. Yep, I can write that.

On another note, I saw in my RT magazine a letter about how she hated first person books and wished publishers/authors would stop. I have to disagree with her. Of course, I am prejudiced, seeing as my first completed ms was first person, but sometimes the story dictates whether it is first or third person POV. Would the Stephanie Plum series be as good if it wasn't in first person? Before you diss a POV, stop and think how a book grabs you in the writing style.

No comments: