Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday....uh...Is it?


Where did the week go? I was off Monday but back to work Tuesday, keeping busy both daytime and nighttime. Haven't really worked a lot on the editing, but my goal is to finish it by the end of October.
On one of my writing loops, there has been a discussion about writing contests. Why do we enter them? Mine from the start has been feedback. I crave feedback because I want to make sure my manuscript is the best that it can be. But the feeling I'm getting as I read some of the posts is wondering how many contests are entered? Hmm...wouldn't it be nice to know how many people I competed with? Ah...I'm just curious.
Right now I have OBSESSION out to two contests and DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART (the revised Chapter One) out to one. No matter what happens, I will read the comments and see how I can improve. I can say that positive comments, even if not the words I want to hear, are better than a "this drivel is crap." Not that someone wrote that on a manuscript... I do feel a bit of annoyance though about one contest I entered...the judge coordinator made a comment on a sticky note that she agreed with the low scoring judge about my entry. Come on! Was that meant for my eyes? It seemed to be tacked on as it was between pages. It was disheartening, to say the least.

But, regardless, until I sell, I'll probably continue to enter contests. They can be interesting.

1 comment:

Carrie Alexander said...

OMG! That sticky note was totally unnecessary. Even if it wasn't meant for your eyes. Boo! Hiss!

But these things happen, even at publishing houses. I've gotten a few things sent to me w/edits that weren't meant to be there. Like a form that included how difficult an author is. Luckily the "not" box was checked on mine, but OTOH, it's the squeaky wheel who gets the grease. I've heard of worse stories too, like the copy editor who wrote all kind of nasty comments to the editor, only they got left in the ms. that went to the author. Oops!