Thursday, September 21, 2006

The merits of local RWA chapters...


Are RWA chapters important?

I belong to three different RWA chapters, but really don't feel like I belong to any of them. It's not that I haven't tried, but like a lot of groups, there is a lot of close-knit groups who tend to shut out anyone else from entering their realm. Have they helped me? In each their own way, yes, but not largely.
I've had people tell me to go join such and such landline chapter, but it would be hard to go to meetings. I would love to have the face to face meetings, but the ideal thing I want is a small group of supporters/critiquers that help each other.

As the months go by, I'm questioning whether I should continue RWA chapter membership. Shall I keep one or drop one? I don't know. I love RWA as a whole, but I need to get something from my memberships in other groups. In fact, I've also thought about the past few days of just taking a break from writing. Writing has to be fun and the stress of the past few days makes it hard sometimes to concentrate.

Ah, these melancholic times...

No comments: